THEROCKGODS.COM > Technical > Fabrication

User Tag List

Old January 16th, 2011   #1
blackwidow
Wheeler

blackwidow is on a distinguished road
I'm baaaccccckkkkk

Alright, it's been 3 years too long since my last rig. So here begins the rebirth of learning how to crawl again. Unfortunately I'm living in Cali now, but still can enjoy wheeling with ya'll

WHAT I GOT:
-1985 Toyota Pick up
[IMG][/IMG]

Front end:
-rebuilt 22r motor, Custom front bumper, Warn 9,000 lb winch, RUF, 5.29 gears, spool, hydro-assist, hi-steer, trussed, Trail Gear diff guard, new Trail Gear tapped power steering box, 30 spline longs, 6 shooter Trail Gear steering knuckles trail gear hi grade bolts, square drive line

Rear End:
-custom bobbed flat bed with tool box. rear axle is a wider 95 Toyota rear with larger brake drums, 5.29 gears, spool, Trail Gear diff guard and new brakes, Chevy 63 springs mounted inboard with dual shackle set up.

Drivetrain:
-rebuilt 5 spd trans ,new center force clutch, rebuilt duals with new Inch worm adapter and 4.7 gear set and twin sticks shift levers in the rear case and stock rebuilt gears in front case, trail gear skid plate

Interior:
-All-pro interior cage, 4 point harness seatbelts, no sure on what seats...CD player with dual Kenwood subs in custom box (which I have already pulled out)

Tires:
-38x12.50 super swamper TSL SX mounted on 15 inch black rock crawler rims with 1 1/2" wheel spacers.

My immediate plans are to rip out the booger welded interior cage (which is not even bolted in), cut off the attempt to a front stinger, rebuild the front driveline with actual square receiver hitch, rewire the winch and all lighting underneath the truck, and figure out the issue the truck has with the battery (it has an 'off' switch to turn so it doesn't kill the battery)

I am still debating on an exo, just don't think it will look good with a square tube back end and round tube front end..any thoughts???

Old January 16th, 2011   #2
MR.ROCKAPE
BANNED

MR.ROCKAPE is on a distinguished road
DAMN BRO....WELCOME BACK!!!

THAT ONE ISNT AS PURDY AS YOUR LAST ONE BUT AT LEAST YOU WONT HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT F-ING IT UP!!!

IM NOT A HUGE EXO FAN......BUT MAYBE YOU CAN GET SOME IDEAS FROM THIS...

http://www.therockgods.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9416

I WAS KINDA BIASED TOWARD THIS THOUGH....

http://www.therockgods.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5992

MY VIDEO!!!--->ITS NEW!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNVguvNE7qc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance View Post
Time and time again you prove you are the biggest idiot on Pirate4x4. God you're a fucking clown.
MR.ROCKAPE is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 16th, 2011   #3
Mrburns
ooooh-shit

Mrburns is on a distinguished road
did you buy that one or build it? I am always amazed what Toys go for (or don't, for that matter)...

looks like a fun rig either way

Old January 16th, 2011   #4
blackwidow
Wheeler

I bought this one...the guy was selling it pretty cheap for what it has in it....

Ape- Yeah I like the exo-less idea you had, I was thinking of doing something like this one:

[/QUOTE]

But tie in the back-end and the roof a little better

Old January 16th, 2011   #5
wix
Hella sweet

wix is on a distinguished road
Welcome back
wix is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 17th, 2011   #6
xjmoser
I wish I was as cool as Big Blue!

xjmoser is on a distinguished road
Welcome back! where you at in cali?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.ROCKAPE View Post

XJ MOSER IS A FLAKE!!!!:mad:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOE THE TOE View Post
BY THE WAY XJMOSER'S RIG IS PRETTY SWEET & AT LEAST HE SHOWED UP .....B!TCHES! :blahblah: :blahblah: :blahblah: :yup:
xjmoser is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 17th, 2011   #7
blackwidow
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjmoser View Post
Welcome back! where you at in cali?
I'm in East Bay (Dublin/Pleasanton)

Old January 17th, 2011   #8
MR.ROCKAPE
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwidow View Post
I bought this one...the guy was selling it pretty cheap for what it has in it....

Ape- Yeah I like the exo-less idea you had, I was thinking of doing something like this one:

But tie in the back-end and the roof a little better[/QUOTE]

i LIKE THAT BUT MAYBE MOVE THE HOOP BEHIND YOUR HEAD OUT OF THE CAB AND BEHIND THE CAB.....THAT WAY IF YOU FLOP IT YOU MIGHT BE ABLE TO STILL OPEN THE DOORS AGAIN......THAT ONE JUST DOESNT FLOW.... I LIKE HOW IT IS BEHIND THE FENDERS THOUGH!!!

Quote:
Time and time again you prove you are the biggest idiot on Pirate4x4. God you're a fucking clown.

Old January 17th, 2011   #9
Mrburns
ooooh-shit

Mrburns is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwidow View Post
I'm in East Bay (Dublin/Pleasanton)
well which is it... Dublin or Pleasanton? just giving you shit...I grew up there. Lived in P-town, went to school in Dub.

Old January 17th, 2011   #10
blackwidow
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrburns View Post
well which is it... Dublin or Pleasanton? just giving you shit...I grew up there. Lived in P-town, went to school in Dub.

I live right on the city line of Dublin and Pleasanton...It's not a bad place out here...but I want to come back to Reno for sure!

Old January 17th, 2011   #11
blackwidow
Wheeler

Alright, so DAY 1.....

The truck's wiring looked like a spider web, so I wanted to remove all the rock lights to the truck. This guy had 6 different types of wires all spliced together with electrical tape and zip ties (which some of them went to nothing at all)...

While under the dash, I found a couple of wires that went to nothing, and when I traced it to the front of the truck, it was to the electric fan..

And finally, the guy once had subwoofers behind the seats and the cables looked frayed and so they were removed...the dude said they stopped working so he ripped them out, literally! Once I removed the wiring, I noticed the wire to the back of the deck was separated (found the problem)

Tomorrow I will degrease the inside and outside of this beast and tackle the unique kill switch he set up under the hood...

Old January 27th, 2011   #12
MR.ROCKAPE
BANNED

HOME OF THE WIRE FIRE!!!

THATS THE ONLY DOWNSIDE TO BUYING A SORTA FINISHED RIG....MOST TIMES THE PREVIOUS OWNER WAS LACKING IN KNOW HOW IN AN AREA OR TWO......AND STUFF HAS TO BE RE-DONE!!!

BUT YOU PROBABLY DIDNT PAY PRO-BUILT PRICE FOR IT SO......FIX/MOD UNTIL IT MAKES YA HAPPY!!!

Quote:

Old February 1st, 2011   #13
blackwidow
Wheeler

Alright so here is an update on the battery/ charging problem I was having....

The previous owner put in a "kill switch" because the battery was dying on him. He said he was screwing around with the ignition and now he has a live wire somewhere killing the battery; so a kill switch was his problem solver....

Well, I did many tests to figure out what he actually did to this truck. I unplugged the CD player, cigarette lighter, lights, winch..everything I could think of that might be drawing power all the time when the truck is off and killing the battery...I inspected the ignition and nothing was causing issues. The truck still sparked every time I touch the negative battery cable up...So I unhooked this "kill switch" the guy set up and BAM!! no spark of the negative....He ran a cable from the positive battery cable to the kill switch, and another cable from the kill switch to the fuse block under the hood, however, had a switch that was screwed up to begin with and wasn't working, so the battery still died.

All in all, the alternator is toast, not the battery! The guy must have thought it was the battery the whole time...I hooked up my battery tester to the battery, it showed a strong charge. Started the truck up and it showed a good charging system on the Alt. After running the truck for 5 minutes I hooked the battery tester back up and it showed a drop in the battery charge, and in the red on the charging system indicating a Alternator problem... Will be bench testing the alternator tomorrow to see how bad it really is and looking in to a better one this week.

Anything else I am overlooking that it might be???