THEROCKGODS.COM > Trail Runs/Events > Easy Trails

Easy Trails like Steve's loop, which I heard is your favorite

User Tag List

Old February 4th, 2013   #1
sirhk100

Trail advice

New to the site, found it by simple search on google for "northern nevada 4wheel trails" or something like that. I live down in Vegas and am looking to put something together this summer for a 3-4 day run with some friends of mine. I'm thinking because of people coming from various directions something up in northern Nev would be best for a meetup spot or possibly like Bishop/Mammoth area even.

Our limitations will be a Toyota FJ on 33's with rock armor and lockers. Not looking to rip our vehicles to shreds but out of the group of players, that's probably the least setup and we'll expect to drag him thru some stuff here and there. He might not know this yet but he'll figure it out... LOL

Any advice on possible trails or areas to base a run out of with basically that vehicle in mind?

Just for comparison... This is my driveway collection, all 100% self built in my garage.

Play truck and dedicated prerunner.

The serious truck for race day...

And my Daily driver and crawler toy... Yeah, it's not the norm but it's pretty fun. 35's, locked up front and rear, 5speed manual, 4.56 gears, blah blah blah... This is an older picture, before summer it's going to have full rock sliders (home made of course) and probably be a completely different color... Well, technically, everything fun on this one pictured is getting transfered over to a completely different platform and I'm starting fresh! Still going to be a 4 door exploder though. We also use this as the chase/recovery vehicle on race day...

Poser shots on the loading ramp at work but you get the idea...

So anyways, "easy trail" advice? Central Nevada maybe? Northern Nevada? Sierras? We're not looking to have to throw away the friends FJ but we know it's going to be the limiting factor.

Thanks,
Khris

Old February 4th, 2013   #2
MR.ROCKAPE
BANNED

MR.ROCKAPE is on a distinguished road
33s and a rear locker will get you through the rubicon... And its a fun challenge... On 33s...its usually a 2 day run... Camp one night.

I hate to suggest too much because an fj cruiser on 33s could get wrecked on more than a few trails.

MY VIDEO!!!--->ITS NEW!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNVguvNE7qc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance View Post
Time and time again you prove you are the biggest idiot on Pirate4x4. God you're a fucking clown.
MR.ROCKAPE is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 4th, 2013   #3
sirhk100

Yeah, that's a bit of my concern too... I just don't really know the limits of an FJ on 33's with a locker. I haven't done the Rubicon in more then 15 years and I was in a CJ7 on 32's with a rear locker and I know we bypassed the little sluice and one other section if I remember right. It was a challenge but we made it but that was also 15+ years ago so not sure...

Old February 4th, 2013   #4
MR.ROCKAPE
BANNED

MR.ROCKAPE is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhk100 View Post
Yeah, that's a bit of my concern too... I just don't really know the limits of an FJ on 33's with a locker. I haven't done the Rubicon in more then 15 years and I was in a CJ7 on 32's with a rear locker and I know we bypassed the little sluice and one other section if I remember right. It was a challenge but we made it but that was also 15+ years ago so not sure...
Its easier now... Trail "improvements" so a stock wrangler can make it with a little stacking...

MY VIDEO!!!--->ITS NEW!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNVguvNE7qc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance View Post
Time and time again you prove you are the biggest idiot on Pirate4x4. God you're a fucking clown.
MR.ROCKAPE is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 4th, 2013   #5
sirhk100

I'd seen those disgusting pictures of some "trail improvements" that looked smoother then the Las Vegas strip a few months back!!! So sad! I'm sure it's still got it's butt kicking spot! I just found a page where a guy tried it solo in a FJ on 33's pulling a trailer and turned around just a few miles in.

Any other ideas of trails maybe just a hair/notch lower then the Rubicon? As much as I'd like to run it in my expo I don't know if we want to chance it in his daily driver. LOL

Old February 4th, 2013   #6
B2Krawler
HARDCORE WEB WHEELER!!!

B2Krawler is on a distinguished road
fordyce would be a fun challenge,

lots of trails in the reno area too, billy bobs, and a few others come to mind, someone will chime in, the names escape me now.

I like the go fast pics, we have lots of that in Northern Nevada, a variety of stuff out at Moon Rocks, 30 min North of Reno, go fast and crawling

Old February 5th, 2013   #7
sirhk100

Will look into Fordyce, I've heard of it over the years but have never ran it! Thanks for the advice!

The go fast stuff is an absolute blast too. Honestly, if I was starting fresh... Or super motivated... I'd ditch all 3 rides in the driveway, buy a POS honda civic to DD and build a KOH type rig. I'm a bit too far committed though to the fleet to change directions that drastically at this point. LOL

Old February 6th, 2013   #8
slvrbck
HOLDIN' IT DOWN

slvrbck is on a distinguished road
Nice looking stable you got there.

Old February 6th, 2013   #9
sirhk100

Thank you! They're all fun but honestly, I'm most anxious to get this expo buttoned up cause it's been without working 4WD for way too long! I'm anxious to get back into 4WL rather then 5th gear pinned! LOL If I was starting fresh, I'd honestly ditch all of them and build just a single KOH type rig! I'm just too far committed though to realistically go that route I think.

Last edited by sirhk100; February 6th, 2013 at 10:02 AM..

Old February 10th, 2013   #10
ScoobyMike

Lakes Basin is an awesome area with easy to medium difficulty. Lots of trees and alpine lakes with great remote camping. Bring your dirt bikes and/or mountain bikes, it is a great all-around off-road area. Bassetts is on the South end, Graeagle is on the north end.

Old February 10th, 2013   #11
ScoobyMike

South of Reno is Bridgeport CA. Lots of prerunner friendly trails, not as remote as Lakes Basin, but a really fun area. Pick up the Toiyabe National Forest Bridgeport Ranger District Map.

Old February 10th, 2013   #12
B2Krawler
HARDCORE WEB WHEELER!!!

B2Krawler is on a distinguished road
Lakes basin is really nice OHV camping, snake lake trail is a good one out there