THEROCKGODS.COM > Technical > 4x4 Tech

User Tag List

Old May 22nd, 2016   #1
MR.ROCKAPE
BANNED

MR.ROCKAPE is on a distinguished road
TECH ON TRG! Cheap Rear Steer axle

For an upcoming build I decided that a rear steer axle was in order....

I looked at doing a 14 bolt but has some specific requirements...mainly it being fairly cheap as my next build is using nothing exotic...other than this rear axle and you'll see its not exotic.

14 bolt had alot of $ spend on finding KP outers to make it work. Along with dealing with axle spline differences so cheap wasnt exactly how this was gonna be.

I came up on this..... a 2006 F550 ball joint front axle(big ball joints,1550 Ujoints and outer C's that will eat chevy C!)

After some discussion with my local axle guru(who also supplied the axle...for a BRO deal) out came the porta-band

Luckily that same axle GURU has been sleeving axles for years and doing this was old hat.

Im now waiting on a Truss and it will go back to get an ARB and 5.38 gears

MY VIDEO!!!--->ITS NEW!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNVguvNE7qc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance View Post
Time and time again you prove you are the biggest idiot on Pirate4x4. God you're a fucking clown.
MR.ROCKAPE is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 23rd, 2016   #2
deadandcompany
HARDCORE WEB WHEELER!!!

deadandcompany is on a distinguished road
What gear ratio do these things come with stock?? I thought it was 5.47s or something like that. Do you know if the unit bearings can be redrilled to 6-5.5?? This things really got my wheels turning!
deadandcompany is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 23rd, 2016   #3
MR.ROCKAPE
BANNED

MR.ROCKAPE is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadandcompany View Post
What gear ratio do these things come with stock?? I thought it was 5.47s or something like that. Do you know if the unit bearings can be redrilled to 6-5.5?? This things really got my wheels turning!
Id check with branik if they can redrill the UB,s ratios range from 3.73-up the f450-550 versions with 4.30 and deeper gears all have the 1550 ujoints...otherwise you get standard dana 60 1480 ujoints.

the axles you want are 2005-up I know reno auto wreckers sells the F350 fronts complete for $750...they arent as wide but have massive knuckles and brakes. (I took about 12" out of that long side tube to get that axle at 66" wms-wms)

parts for this havent been bad...pair of new UB's $206,long side axle assembly(inner/outer and u joint from spicer $340. outer stub $90 actual 10" gear sets are $350+ unless you want 5:38s- $240 from spicer

only aftermarket axleshaft option is RCV's unless you run the 1480 ujoints then its just a standard dana 60 alloy axle cut to length.

MY VIDEO!!!--->ITS NEW!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNVguvNE7qc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance View Post
Time and time again you prove you are the biggest idiot on Pirate4x4. God you're a fucking clown.
MR.ROCKAPE is offline   Reply With Quote