The RockGods Stickers

THEROCKGODS.COM Forum > Parts Department > For sale

Old January 21st, 2011   #1
Bryand
RockGods Member

Bryand is on a distinguished road
Budget Turnkey Engines - 5.3L & 6.0L

BUDGET TURNKEY GM GENIII ENGINES

Budget Turnkey GM GENIII Engines are obtained from wrecking yards primarily from California. They are 5.3L & 6.0L engines from trucks & vans with a cable operated throttle body. I stipulate they must be clean, free of unusual corrosion, and have no more than 125,000 miles. These are generally the “cream of the crop” of junkyard engines.

The 5.3L & 6.0L GM engines are great engines for modern aftermarket projects. The 5.3L produces a legitimate 300hp, and the 6.0L 325hp in stock form. With a good tune that I provide, these numbers go to around 325hp and 350hp respectably. With the addition of the Z06 / LS6 camshaft it is estimated that it pushes the 5.3L to 350+hp, and the 6.0L to 375+hp. These horsepower ratings are honest, naturally aspirated, and most importantly, RELIABLE – and AFFORDABLE!

Bryan Dacus
Reno, NV.
775-240-3738
8am-9pm daily

Your Budget Turnkey Engine will come with the following:
Engine (with less than 125k miles)
Engine Harness (modified OEM for 3 wire hookup to run)
ECM (tuned to your specifications)
Intake Manifold
Oil Pan (generally truck style)
MAF (OEM style with incorporated IAT)
Fuel Rail
Fuel Rail Connector fittings, cut at firewall (5/16 & 3/8 hose easily adapts)
Throttle Body, cable type
Throttle Cable, factory OEM style
All necessary sensors, including front O2’s
Flexplate
Starter
Exhaust Manifolds, with connecting pipe to O2’s
Spark Plugs, Wires, & Coil Packs
Water Pump
Alternator & bracket
Air Conditioning Compressor, Bracket, Belt, & Port Blocks
Power Steering Pump & Bracket
Idler Pulley
Serpentine Belt
Vortec V8's Starting at $1995 Turnkey
Bryand is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 21st, 2011   #2
Bryand
RockGods Member

Every engine is placed on a run-stand and brought up to full temperature. All sensors are checked for proper function, as well as general engine performance. I do not dyno run or tune engines. I encourage anyone interested in my engines to come by and see and hear the engine run for your self. It is very satisfying to know you are truly getting what you pay for, a TURNKEY ENGINE!

PRICES - OCTOBER, 2011

COMPLETE TURNKEY ENGINES
60-100k miles
5.3L LM7 -------------------$1995.00
5.3L LM7 w/ Z06 Cam ------ $2600.00

6.0L LQ4 ------------------- $2800.00
6.0L LQ4 w/Z06 Cam ------- $3400.00
6.0L LQ9 ------------------- $3800.00

Engines with 40-60k = +$350
Engines with less than 40k = +$700

TURNKEY HARNESS & ECM MOD, includes performance tune.
If you want to get your own wrecking yard engine.

1999-2006 4.8/5.3/6.0 ----- $400.00
1999-2006 LSX ------------- $450.00

Last edited by Bryand; October 10th, 2011 at 03:40 PM..

Old January 21st, 2011   #3
Bryand
RockGods Member

ECM TUNNING & QUESTIONS
Your ECM will have the factory VATS (vehicle anti theft system) removed and all irrelevant DTC (diagnostic trouble codes) turned off. This is included in the price. Your ECM will be modified using HP Tuner, and be a legitimate licensed tune. This means that further horsepower tuning can be done later if you decide to swap in power adders, such as a cam or, you want to maximize your engines potential in its unique application. Custom tuning cost $100/hour, 1-hour minimum for actual seat-time tuning in the Reno/Sparks, NV area. MoonRocks is a great place for custom tuning as a wide variety of terrain is available.

Please read and answer the following questions related to your desired application of the engine.

Desired Idle RPM 550-1000rpm = ___________Note: 650 rpm is factory. If you run, or plan to run a factory, or near factory stall converter than the 600-650 helps braking when in low-range of a 4x4 vehicle. But, obviously you are that much further away from the peak HP range when you gas it. Personally, I run a factory converter, have a final crawl ratio of 56.7:1 and am happy. This topic is VERY debatable. If unsure, I would recommend running the factory idle of 650. Good thing is; if you need it changed later it only takes a few minutes.

Desired Rev limiter = ___________Note: 5200 is factory rev limit on a 5.3. They can easily handle 6200+. My recommendation is to set rev limit to 6200 and focus your shift points of full throttle at 6000. This is how my personal rig is tuned.

Will you retain the OEM Mass Air (MAF) sensor? __________( yes = $0, no = +$50 )
Note: The stock MAF has to have at least 3" of straight tubing between it and the throttle body in order for it to read properly. If packaging is an issue in the vehicle, or you simply don’t like the added look of all the giant 4” tubing a MAF creates, it can be eliminated. If you have the room for a MAF, by all means run it. I myself do not run one because I simply could not fit all of the 4” tubing under the hood. To eliminate it, a separate IAT (inlet air temp) sensor has to be relocated into the unused EVAP solenoid port in the manifold. Additional harness work, and a sensor pigtail also have to be added. This costs an additional $50.00

91 Octane or 89 Octane Tune? ___________Note: A 91 Octane tune will maximize the timing table for more power but you must run 91 Octane fuel. Less than 91 Octane fuel will result in detonation and harm the motor due to the advanced timing. Unless you are planning on towing with this engine, I would recommend taking advantage of this simple horsepower booster.

Transmission Controlled by ECM? ___________( yes = $+50, no = $0 )
Do you plan on using a later model electronic shift transmission, such as the 4L60E or 4L80E? If so, additional transmission control will need to be tuned in the ECM. A VSS Sensor is also required. It can be in the transmission, but for offroad 4x4 use, in the transfercase is more common. IMO, unless you are building a primarily street driven car avoid using the newer electronic transmissions. They are more complicated to get tuned properly for offroad use, and the 4L60E is known to have some week points.

ZO6 Cam Option? __________( yes = $+600, no = $0 )
The Z06 / LS6 Camshaft is a great way to add a reasonable amount of horsepower to the 5.3 & 6.0 engines. Although it is not the biggest cam you could put in these engines, IMO it is about the max you’d want to run for an offroad car or rock crawler. I can do this “mod” for you using brand new GM Performance Parts. Besides the cam, the Z06 valve springs also have to be swapped because of the added lift. I personally run this cam in my 5.3L. If you want a ride, just ask!

Old January 21st, 2011   #4
Bryand
RockGods Member

Emissions & DTC Codes
All of the Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC/check engine light) that do not pertain to this engine will be turned off in the tune. The DTC's that remain will help you trouble shoot the problem if the check engine light is being displayed. Most common DTC's are when sensors become unplugged, damaged or stop working. The sensors that remain on the motor are crucial to keep it running. This is a list of the sensor and /or codes that remain. Some of the sensors listed have several codes depending on what is wrong to help you fine tune a diagnosis.

Mass Airflow Flow (if applicable)
IAT Sensor
Throttle Position Sensor
O2 Sensor Bank 1
O2 Sensor bank 2
Fuel Trim System Lean Bank 1 and 2
Fuel System Rich Bank 1 and 2
Injector Control Circuit
Fuel Pump Relay Control Circuit
Engine Misfire Detected
Knock Sensors
CKP Sensor (Crank Position Sensor)
Camshaft Position Sensor
Ignition Coil Control Circuit 1-8
PCM Memory ROM & RAM
5-Volt Reference Circuits

TH35O, 700R4, TH400, or Powerglide Transmisions
A Flexplate spacer & longer bolts will need to be purchased and installed. And, the flexplate bolt holes for the converter will need to be slotted slightly. A Dremel tool and 1 bit per hole will usually get the job done. Check torque converter alignment before installing in vehicle. Shop around for these parts, you can save yourself some money!
Spacer – GM Part# 12563532 ($40)
Bolts – GM Part# 12563533 (6 needed), ($5/each)

Fuel Pump
GENIII engines require about 60psi of fuel pressure. There is a regulator built into the fuel inlet lines on the intake manifold. I recommend a serviceable filter pre pump, and a 10 micron filter post pump. Summit Racing has all these parts. You will also need to have a return line plumbed back to the fuel tank.
$73.95 ------- Fuel Pump: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G3138/
$11.95 ------- Pre Filter: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RUS-645120/
$16.95 ------- Post Filter: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G1512/

A/C Compressor
The A/C compressor is included in the engine turnkey package. It comes with the factory port blocks but has a/c hoses cut. The port blocks are easily drilled and tapped to standard NPT threads for “onboard air” applications.

Last edited by Bryand; January 21st, 2011 at 04:13 PM..

Old January 21st, 2011   #5
Bryand
RockGods Member

O2 SensorsThe factory O2 sensors are included in the engine turnkey package. You will need to locate them somewhere between the exhaust manifold collector and any “Y” pipe, or muffler if you run dual exhaust. They are Left (bank 1) and Right (bank 2) specific. Summit Racing sells a variety of O2 weld in bungs, and collectors with bungs.

BatteryThe engine will have the factory positive & negative battery terminals attached to it. It connects ground to the engine & chassis, and routes the positive led to the starter motor & alternator. It generally has one other smaller gauge wire that can be used to power the rest of the vehicle. It is usually located on the front drivers-side of the engine. You can use it, or route your own battery cables. It is NOT part of the engine run harness.

AlternatorThere really is nothing to do with the alternator if running it in the factory location. It is located on the drivers-side, front & top of the motor (see photo on front page). It is tied into the battery via the battery connection above and will start charging when the engine is running. It is often the most difficult to deal with if packaging is tight. Relocation is sometimes necessary. My recommendation is to run it in its factory location unless APSOLUTELY necessary. Relocating it will cost a lot of money.

Wiring Harness HookupThe modified harness will come attached to the engine, have a 4-way fuse block (all connections are fused) & 2 relays. 1 relay for Ignition, and 1 relay to run your Fuel Pump. The following wires will be included, although only the first three are truly needed to run the engine.

-Battery 12V+ (mandatory)
This is a positive, full time, 12V+ source. It is separately fused.
-Ignition 12V+ (mandatory)
Generally from the crank/run side of keyed source. It is separately fused.
-Fuel Pump 12V+ (mandatory)
This is the 12V+ from the fuel pump relay. The relay is controlled by the computer and is separately fused in the block. When the ignition is turned on, the fuel pump will cycle approximately 3 seconds and turn off until cranking begins. It then runs continuous in crank & run positions of the key. Run directly to fuel pump.
-MIL (Check Engine Light) 12V- (highly recommended)
This is a ground wire. Power the MIL with a keyed 12V+, then run this ground wire to the other terminal of the light. This is a very useful tool in engine diagnosis. Mount it in a location that you will immediately notice from the drivers seat.
-Starter Solenoid 12V+
This generally comes from the “crank” position of the key. 12ga. Wire recommended.
-Tach output signal
This is the tach signal from the ECM. Most tachs can be calibrated to read this signal.
-A/C Compressor 12V+
This will activate the onboard a/c compressor clutch. I have been very successfully using this type of compressor to make compressed air for trail 4x4 wheeling. I add about an ounce of a good synthetic Royal Purple gear oil every few runs.
-Cooling Fan Control 12V+
This is a source from the ECM to control an engine-cooling fan. It
needs to be routed through an appropriate sized relay.
-VSS SignalThis is the signal coming from your VSS sensor.

Warranty & SaleThis is a private party sale. I do not warranty ANY part of this package. The engine & components do have a 6 month, 6k mile warranty from the salvage company. But depending on the date I purchased, yours will be less. You will receive a copy of the original sales receipt.

Old January 21st, 2011   #6
Bryand
RockGods Member

CURRENT ENGINE FOR SALE - January 21, 2011
-------------------
SOLD, shipped to Iowa for buggy project. installed Z06 cam, springs, and eliminated MAF for a total of $2600 Turnkey.
-------------------
Serial Number - 001
Engine - 5.3L
Vehicle - 2001 GMC Sierra Truck
Mileage - 89,000
Grade - A
Price - $1950.00 +options

Notes: This motor is pretty clean with relatively low miles. Had to put a new set of NGK Iridium plugs in it as it had some junk 4 pronge platinums. Also, this engine for some reason has the newer & more desireable heat-sink coil packs. The factory EGR system has been removed and the ports plugged.

Bryan D
8am-9pm Daily
775-240-3738

Last edited by Bryand; February 13th, 2011 at 08:46 PM..

Old January 21st, 2011   #7
RADDONKEY
Paid Member

My Mood:
RADDONKEY is on a distinguished road
HHMMMMMMMMM !! Your killin me Bryan !!
RADDONKEY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 21st, 2011   #8
RADDONKEY
Paid Member

My Mood:
RADDONKEY is on a distinguished road
So it looks like I got someone interested in my drive train!! Could you get me some measurements off the LS. I need the width to manifolds, length from crank pulley to flex plate, and oil pan to top of manifold. Thanx Bryan Oh and I'm liking the engine run stand you got there.
RADDONKEY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 21st, 2011   #9
B2Krawler
HARDCORE WEB WHEELER!!!

B2Krawler is on a distinguished road
nice work brian, this is a good deal

Old January 21st, 2011   #10
Bryand
RockGods Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RADDONKEY View Post
So it looks like I got someone interested in my drive train!! Could you get me some measurements off the LS. I need the width to manifolds, length from crank pulley to flex plate, and oil pan to top of manifold. Thanx Bryan Oh and I'm liking the engine run stand you got there.
Here ya go Don. This look about right on measurements.

Yeah, i thought about doing a "build thread" on the run-stand. it was a about a 2 week worth of evenings to build in itself. I could have put that engine in a car by the time i was done. Radiator, fuel system, exhaust Y-pipe & muffler, throttle cable, wiring, heat shielding, etc. Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: gif Truck_engine_dimensions_1.gif (31.4 KB, 276 views)